Shortly after the inception of OMSB in 2006, the Accreditation Committee was formed in 2007 and has continued to function as the accrediting body for the various OMSB training programs under the Oman Medical Specialty Board. It continued to do so until 2015 when OMSB decided to seek accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education-International (ACGME-I). At that point, the Accreditation Committee assumed all the functions of an Internal Review Committee for OMSB programs as required by the ACGME-I Regulations. However, the Committee continued to carry out its other duties unrelated to ACGME-I. Thus, it was renamed “Accreditation/Internal Review Committee” and covers both Committee duties to date. Also, the Accreditation Committee/Internal Review Committee now reports to the Graduate Medical Education Committee instead of reporting directly to the Executive President.
In 2017, the Accreditation Committee/Internal Review Committee started to carry out accreditation reviews of fellowship training programs under OMSB.
1) Reviews procedures for accreditation of training sites and training programs.
2) Conducts periodic evaluation of training programs recognized by OMSB to determine the status of accreditation to be conferred for each training program.
3) Visits health institutions that apply for accreditation to ensure that they meet all the requirements for accreditation.
4) Studies requests for accreditation of training sites for each training program in the site.
5) Conducts periodic visits to training sites to ensure that the training programs’ standards and requirements are applied regularly.
6) Recommends re-accreditation of training sites or training programs that had their accreditation refused, suspended, or, withdrawn previously.
7) Reviews the policies related to the accreditation process to ensure that the accreditation procedures relating to the training sites and OMSB training programs are updated and effective.
8) Discusses issues referred from the concerned/related authorities at OMSB.
During reviews, the Committee Members and Surveyors of the Accreditation Committee are there to represent only the Accreditation Committee and not their own Education Committee or Training Program.
All Members and Surveyors are to adhere to the principles of confidentiality. All proceedings and deliberations of the Accreditation Committee are strictly confidential and only the information that is contained in the Accreditation Committee report can be divulged, and only after the report is released. Even then, information can be divulged only to individuals directly concerned with the reviewed training programs and/or training sites.
Committee Members and Surveyors are specifically reminded that any details of the discussion of any program and/or training site reviews during meetings and site visits cannot be disclosed to non-Members/Surveyors, not even their own Education Committee/Training Program, not even after the report is out.
Any discussion by Members of the Committee of Surveyors with anybody else is regarded as a breach of confidentiality.
Chairman: Dr. Ammar Al Kashmiri
Deputy Chairman: Dr. Naeema Al Balushi
Dr. Abdulhakim Al Rawas
Dr. Adil Al Lawati
Dr. Badria Al Hatali
Dr. Farida Al Balushi
Dr. Faryal Al Lawati
Dr. Fathiya Al Shereiqi
Dr. Marwa Al Riyami
Dr. Mazin Al Khabouri
Dr. Mohamed Al Shamsi
Dr. Mohammed Al Sajwani
Dr. Mohsin Al Naamani
Dr. Narayan Swamy
Dr. Nihal Al Riyami
Dr. Rayhanah Al Mjeni
Dr. Yousef Obeid
Invited Member: Prof. Neela Al Lamki
Rapporteur: Xyllene Grace R. Reynaldo